Today I am excited about introducing you to Nir Eyal.
Nir is a super sharp guy that has a fascinating process of getting people to become hooked on your product or service, so that they will buy from you over and over while remaining a long-term client.
In this episode we talk about the hidden framework that Facebook uses to keep people engaged at a high level.
Nir is the author of a brilliant book entitled Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products. This is a fast paced interview with lots of great information so be prepared to take notes if you possibly can.
In This Episode:
- Mind control
- How the gaming and ad industries change people’s behavior
- Writing the book he couldn’t find
- It’s about persuasion not coercion
- Utilizing the hook
- Operant conditioning & variable reinforcement
- Internal versus external triggers
- Non-physical products store value as they are used
- Habits are performed with little or no conscious thought
Nir Eyal writes, consults, and teaches about the intersection of psychology, technology, and business. The M.I.T. Technology Review dubbed Nir, “The Prophet of Habit-Forming Technology.”
Nir founded two tech companies since 2003 and has taught at the Stanford Graduate School of Business and the Hasso Plattner Institute of Design at Stanford. He is the author of the bestselling book, Hooked: How to Build Habit-Forming Products.
Nir is also an active investor in habit-forming technologies. Some of his past investments include: Eventbrite, Product Hunt, Pantry,Refresh.io (acquired by LinkedIn), Happy Bits, Presence Learning,7 Cups of Tea, Pana, and Symphony Commerce.
Nir attended The Stanford Graduate School of Business and Emory University.
Connect with Nir:
Nir’s Favorite Book or Program:
- Addiction by Design: Machine Gambling in Las Vegas by Natasha Dow Schull
- The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business by Charles Duhigg
Nir’s Favorite Tool or Technology:
- The iPhone
Nir’s Favorite Quote:
Persistence is more important than intensity